You’ve tried everything you can to make your marriage work, but no matter how hard you try you run into one challenge after the next.
At this point, you have a couple of options. You can remain in your marriage and hope for the best, or ask your spouse for a divorce so that you can start fresh.
If you decide in favor of divorce, you’ll be relieved that you can finally remove yourself from your hopeless marriage. Conversely, you may have concerns about what the divorce process will bring as it relates to your finances, children and other key matters in your life.
There are two things you can do to set yourself up for success:
- Ask for a divorce in the appropriate manner
- Prepare for anything and everything that could come your way
Asking for a divorce is the first step in leaving your marriage in the past. This can be a difficult enough conversation without making mistakes, so you should have a clear idea of what you’re trying to accomplish. Here are some tips you can use:
- Write down what you want to say: It sounds like overkill, but putting your thoughts on paper will allow you to better connect with them. Additionally, it’ll help you guide the conversation in the direction you want it to go.
- Choose the right time and place: If you respect your spouse and the conversation, you’ll choose a time and place that works for the both of you and allows you to have a meaningful discussion about your feelings and future.
- Stick to your plan: Many people make it this far, just to turn back because they don’t know how their spouse will react. If you’re 100% sure that you want to divorce, stick with your plan at this point. Backing out will lead to additional frustration and stress on your marriage.
No one wants to find that they’re in a hopeless marriage, but things happen. Should you realize a change is necessary, begin to prepare for the divorce process. By taking the right steps, you position yourself to reach all your goals during this difficult time in your life.